The coronavirus has been a hot topic in the dawn of 2020. The coverage in the media has caused the nation to participate in a conversation about how to prevent becoming infected. The many ways to avert corona virus and to boost immunity are things that most humans should be doing to prevent all kinds of colds and flus.
Corona virus like other microorganisms is spread from person to person. With that being said, the number one way to avoid the spread is to routinely sanitize our hands. The best way to sanitize is using hot water and soap. Liquid soap is best because it is dispensed versus bar soap which may leave behind microorganisms to sit between washes. The hand washing routine is also crucial. Rinsing with warm water, applying soap to the entire hands and wrist, and washing for a full 30 seconds are the best ways to insure a thorough cleaning. On the other hand, no pun intended, hand sanitizers are also convenient tools. However, store bought sanitizers need to contain 60% alcohol to be effective. Sanitizers with fancy scents may contain other ingredients instead of alcohol which are not effective in killing microorganisms.
There are several easy ways to boost your immunity that really should be instituted on a regular basis:
- Rest: getting enough sleep at night makes your body and mind feel rested
- Exercise: regular activity makes your body stronger to fight off infection
- Manage stress: excessive or unhealthy stress lowers immunity
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat well: avoid processed foods and eat whole foods including fruits and vegetables that contain nutrients that prevents illness i.e Vitamins C, E, A, D, Folic Acid, Iron, Selenium, and Zinc
In addition to these easy methods, Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture are also useful tools for to boost immunity.
Immunity, in Chinese Medicine, is referred to as "wei" or defensive qi. This qi circulates superficially in our body to protect against harmful infection or, as referred to in Chinese Medicine, external pathological factors. When wei qi is strong, the body can fight off these pathogens. Acupuncture uses points that boost wei qi and tonifies the organs involved with assisting against sickness i.e. Lungs.
In addition to acupuncture, Chinese Medicine has simple concepts to practice avoiding sickness:
- Make to sure to be completely dry after bathing before going outdoors.
- Keep head and back of neck covered with scarf, collar, or hat.
- Drink warm or room temperature beverages.
- Easy diet additives like garlic, ginger, lemon, honey.
- Herbs like Astragalus (Huang Qi), Echinacea (Zi Zhu Hua), and Goldenseal (Bai Mao Liang)
Please, still come in for your appointments and do not hesitate to seek care if you are feeling symptoms of a possible infection.
2008 Blue Mesa Ct., Loveland, CO 80538 | (970) 218-7179 | www.DelSolCommunityWellness.com